Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Test of Faith

So, I've been pretty positive that this whole moving to CA and medical school thing will work out and all will be fine. I knew we would be taking a vow of poverty, but I guess I didn't really have an understanding just how poor we would be.

Last night, Mark received his loan disbursement information. After tuition and books, we will have a whopping $22,000.00 for the SCHOOL YEAR (that's 10 months, not 12 months.) I usually am the positive "we can do it" one of the relationship, but last night I swear my heart stopped for what seemed like for ever.

I went to bed feeling a little overwhelmed. I've been teasing that we would be living in a cardboard box and it look like in reality we can only afford a cardboard box. Reality is beginning to set in. My thoughts go straight to working and finding a job. However, that isn't really an option until much later because I will be having the baby a couple of months after we move. And, depending on the job, any extra money I make will be paying for child care instead of helping us stay ahead.

This morning, I took William to our park play day. Members of our ward meet at a park every Wednesday morning. One of the moms is currently living what we are about to experience. Her husband is in the DO program at Midwestern. They have a little boy a little older than William, a baby girl, and another one on the way. I asked her how she makes it work. She says that is difficult, but possible. This statement alone made me feel better. She mentioned that they couldn't do it with out government assistance, ie food stamps, Access, WIC, etc. And that the ward, family, and friends help out. I knew that we would have to utilize government programs but I didn't know how much of a dent they would make. Talking to her gave me a realistic perspective and gave me a positive boost.

Mark and I are going to go do a house hunting trip in May. Let's hope we find a nice, cozy, cardboard box!

No comments:

Post a Comment